By Dr. Krystosik

See other articles in this Blue Zone Series

Over the past 9 weeks I have been describing the diet and lifestyle of the people living in the BLUE ZONES. Five regions in the world where people outlive the rest of us. The inhabitants of these regions remain active as they age far beyond what the aging population does here in the United States.

So, what can we all learn from the people of the BLUE ZONES?

The scientists who studied the BLUE ZONES clearly demonstrate that it is not the location they live in, or their ethnic identity that is the secret of helping these people live long, healthy lives. Neither is it something magical in the water or food, or some ancient held ritual or tradition that allows the BLUE ZONE inhabitants to enjoy their healthy, long lives. The truth is people living in the BLUE ZONES are just that: people. They are just like the rest of us living here in the states. They have the same stress factors, the same air we breathe, and the same foods available as we do. The reality is they simply make better lifestyle choices.

Unfortunately, we have been living our lives far too long according to outdated science. Most people still believe poor health and disease are a result of

bad genes, bad germs, and bad luck. That is just bad science. Truth is, most chronic disease is a result of bad choices. The Danish Twin Study established only about 20 percent of how long the average person lives is dictated by genes. On the other hand, 80 percent is influenced by diet and lifestyle. It’s not your genes, but your lifestyle that has the most significant effect on your health and lifespan.

Take Home Message: There are no magic pills that will stop the aging process. Everyone will always age, every day, no matter what. However, as the BLUE ZONES demonstrate, the aging process can be slowed down depending on our lifestyle choices. The good news is, I can help create a personalized diet and lifestyle to enable you to stay in the BLUE ZONE.

Over the next several weeks my articles will focus on the new science of epigenetics. This new and exciting science is unraveling the myth that are genetic makeup determines our long-term health and well-being. The truth is our genes our not our destiny.

Dr. Krystosik is a board-certified chiropractic physician with an undergraduate degree in clinical nutrition and is northeast Ohio’s leading expert in functional medicine. Dr. Krystosik is the author of 5 books on nutrition and natural medicine and is a nationally known speaker. For an appointment with Dr. Krystosik in his Northfield office, call 330-908-0094 or go to https://www.healthsourcechiro.com/macedonia/#gref