From Northfield Village Fire Chief Jason Buss
At about 11am yesterday (12/13) we received a fire alarm call at the plaza. When the guys arrived they were met by a service technician who stated it appeared there was a fire in one of the roof top hvac units. Our units turned the power and gas off to those units. While they were checking the adult and child day care, they noticed elevated CO levels in both buildings. After attempting to ventilate the building, low CO levels were still being found and the decision was made to evacuate and close the day care for the day. A second rooftop unit was also shut down, believed to be the cause of the CO leak. 10 children were relocated from the day care to city hall unit parents could pick them up. The system was supposed to receive repairs yesterday and will be re evaluated this morning. No kids were exposed to extremely high CO levels and none required medical attention.