This morning at approximately 12:01AM, Northfield Village Fire Department responded to a working structure fire at 74 Vincent Avenue in Northfield. Upon fire department arrival, heavy smoke was noted coming from the eves of the house and the attic vents. The home had been evacuated prior to arrival and Northfield Police rescued a dog from inside the home. The residents of the home called 911 after smelling smoke and attempting to put a small fire out on the stove with a fire extinguisher. At this time it appears that the fire had already spread from the small fire on the stove, up an exhaust vent duct above the stove, and into the attic space. Fire crews confirmed a large volume of fire in the attic and began fighting the fire from the outside through roof vents. Additional crews were needed to ventilate the roof by cutting a large hole in the roof to release the smoke and fire from the attic space. Finally, crews were able to enter the home and extinguish the fire from the inside The home suffered significant smoke, fire and heat damage and is not habitable at this time. The Red Cross was contacted to assist the displaced residents. No firefighters were injured during firefighting activities and the fire was brought under control at about 12:52 AM. NVFD was assisted by Firefighters from Macedonia, Twinsburg, Oakwood Fire Departments and Valley Fire District in bringing the fire under control. All firefighters on scene are to be commended on their hard work in bringing this difficult fire under control in a safe and timely manner.
No further details are available at this time
Chief Jason L Buss
Northfield Village Fire Department