Sylvia Works for You, Focusing on Residents Priorities and Concerns as your Council representative since 2014
• Voted for strong, long term program for our residential streets
• Voted for storm water control and recovery programs
• Voted for needed replacement vehicles for police, fire and service departments
• Voted for new Macedonia parks playground equipment and improved walking trails
• Voted for and implemented strong fiscal accountability and controls, including line item budget
• Led the effort to provide OhioCheckbook.com Macedonia financial information online for our residents
• Strongly supports strict zoning enforcement to protect our residents
• Takes action to respond to and resolve resident questions and complaints as your representative
• Believes informing residents of proposed city initiatives and actions is the foundation of a city run for the benefit of residents
• Self funds her re-election campaign so that her decisions are based on residents needs, not special interests’ wants.
Sylvia’s Experience and Education
• Macedonia City Council Vice President & Finance Committee Chair 2014-2015
• Council Leader (2016-2017) to Put Macedonia Financial Information Online – OhioCheckbook.com
• 27 Years Government Manager & Director Department of Defense
• Recipient of Distinguished Civilian Service and National Partnership for Reinventing Government “Hammer” Awards
• Bachelor’s Degree cum laude – Univ of Toledo Masters Degree – Temple Univ – Federal Exec Inst Training
• Chair, Macedonia Economic Development Committee 2010-12
• Chair – Nordonia Hills Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Committee 2013-2015
• Board Member Nordonia Schools Foundation
• Co-Chair, Nordonia Schools Financial Activities Communication Team (FACT) Committee (2014-present)
• Nordonia Hills Rotary Leader and Committee Member in the successful effort to construct a permanent Safety Town training facility for kindergarten age children at Rushwood Elementary School (2014-2017).
Sylvia Believes in Serving our Community
The Hanneken Family has deep roots in Macedonia. She and her late husband George raised the family here over the past thirty-seven years. Nordonia Schools provided the educational experience for success with her twin sons Eric and Russell who were both National Merit Scholars. Graduating from Nordonia in 1989, both sons continued their education at Ohio universities, Eric graduating from The Ohio State University and Russell from Miami University.
Sylvia believes that contributing to the success of our young people is the foundation of a healthy Nordonia Hills community. Over the past decade she has worked with a number of community organizations to help our young people move toward success. Sylvia led the Nordonia Hills Chamber of Commerce Scholarship fund raising effort from 2013 through 2015, raising over $6,000 in scholarships for Nordonia High graduating seniors. Sylvia was a key Rotary club leader and committee member in the successful effort (2014-17) to build a permanent Safety Town facility to provide traffic, fire and personal safety training for our Nordonia Hills kindergarten age children. Sylvia is also a board member of the Nordonia Schools Foundation which funds teacher initiatives for our Nordonia students and scholarships for Nordonia High graduating seniors.