By Dr. Krystosik

Not tonight honey, I have a headache. If your wife or someone else you care about is suffering with recurrent headaches of unknown origin, a chiropractor could suddenly become your best friend. Nine out of 10 Americans suffer from headaches, some are occasional, others more frequent. Headaches come with a variety of symptoms. Some headaches are dull and throbbing, others are debilitating, some come with nausea and dizziness. The first thing most people do when they experience the pain of a headache is reach for an asprin. Medications for headaches always come with some sort of side effect, especially if the headache sufferer uses them frequently. There is a much better, safer alternative. Hundreds of research studies prove that manipulation of the spine, one of the primary treatments provided by chiropractors, is one of the most effective treatment options for headaches.

There are several causes or triggers of headache pain. Some of the triggers of headaches include foods, improper rest, excessive exercise, stress, low blood sugar. About 10 percent of headaches are warning signals of a physical or chemical imbalance in the body. The remaining 90 percent of headaches are primary headaches including tension, cluster and migraine headaches. These types of headaches are not caused by disease, rather the headache is primary concern.

The most common type of primary headache is a tension headache, associated with tight muscles in the neck. Sitting in front of a computer for hours in one fixed position, laying on a couch with your head in a contorted position, are some common reasons for tension headaches. Poor posture habits increase muscle tension and pull on the joints in the spine leading to nerve irritation and the subsequent head pain.

If you spend a significant amount of time sitting in front of a computer or in a work station in a fixed position, take a stretch break every 30 minutes to one hour. Stretch your head and neck gently, through comfortable, full ranges of motion. Next, add some shoulder shrugs into this routine.

Over the past 25 plus years I have helped hundreds of patients say goodbye to their chronic headaches simply by getting to the cause of the headaches with safe chiropractic manipulation. Spinal manipulation improves spinal function and alleviate stress and muscle tension without any side effects. Finally, take advantage of my $25 offer for a consultation, evaluation and one chiropractic adjustment. Proceeds go to The Northfield Emergency Assistance Center.

Dr. Krystosik is a board-certified chiropractic physician with an undergraduate degree in clinical nutrition and is northeast Ohio’s leading expert in functional medicine. Dr. Krystosik is the author of 5 books on nutrition and natural medicine and is a nationally known speaker. For an appointment with Dr. Krystosik in his Northfield office, call 330-908-0094 or go to www.TheOtherSideofMedicine.com